Thursday, January 3, 2019

New Year

I think it's really interesting that whenever the New Year rolls around, everyone gets very introspective. For whatever reason it encourages us all to look at our lives, reflect on the passage of time, and for a lot of people, decide what changes they'd like to see in their lives or the world around them.

I'm no different really. New Years resolutions were made to be broken it seems, but sometimes they will stick. I try to keep them simple and just pick a few these days. And I try to focus them on making myself a better, happier person. I think that things like, "Loose 20 lbs" are so easily broken because unless you're making a change that changes something inside of you, it's unlikely to stick.

So, for 2019, these are the things I choose to focus on:

  • I'd like to read 20 books this year. Last year a set a goal of 12 books and read 15. As my Mom pointed out when I told her I had read 15 books, that is a far cry from the hundreds of books I used to read as a kid. But let's be honest, I have a bit more on my plate now than I did when I was 12. So with a new baby coming 20 ought to be enough of a goal, really. 
  • I'd like to continue on my journey towards minimalism. The idea of having less and having only things that make you happy and that you need. The year Teddy was born I went through the entire house and got rid of a ton of stuff. Literally felt like a ton. But it's something you kind of have to work at. It's a lifestyle change and it takes awhile before you can really make it your own, you know? And it looks different for everyone. I still have places in my house that gather clutter. And I still struggle to not make emotional purchases. It's a work in progress. The first thing I'm going to do is tackle the kitchen. The Faux Martha is a blog that focuses on simplicity and minimalism in the kitchen. She's doing a free online course starting January 8th that is supposed to help you clean out your kitchen of all the unnecessary stuff. So I signed up and we'll see how it goes.
And that is really it. With a new baby coming, that is enough.

No comments: