Monday, April 4, 2011

Birthdays

One of my and Charlie's very best friend's turned 30 last weekend.  Max was the first of our friends to turn 30. I remember when that sounded so old, but now it is just around the corner. Ellen threw him a surprise party, which she did an outstanding job of doing. Her sisters Katie and Julie helped her out. She even brought his mom, dad, brother and sister into town to celebrate with him. He was really truely surprised, it was awesome.  I was on call, but luckily the ER left me alone long enough to enjoy the night with everyone.

She had everyone arrive at about 7:45. They were supposed to arrive at around 8:00, but you know how that goes. They got there around 8:45 and then fun began. El, per the usual, thought of everything, including a pinata stuffed with little plastic bottles full of liquor.






It got me to thinking about birthdays. They really are so great, aren't they? I mean, what a fantastic idea - to celebrate your birth. Your entrance into this world. It's like a celebration of how happy everyone is that the birthday boy/girl was born and is a part of your life.

This is why I don't understand people that don't like birthdays. Charlie is friends with a Jehovah's Witness in Florida and found out that they do not celebrate holidays. Of any kind. No birthdays, no nothing. That is awful. Why can I not be thankful for Max's or Ellen's or Charlie's presence in my life? They have all played a role in shaping who I am today and who I continue to become, as do all of my friends and family. That is something to be celebrated, if you ask me.

So, as my half birthday nears, I realize that I will soon join Max at 30 (I mean, not that soon, another year and a half, but it seems soon). I don't know how I will feel about being 30, but I do know that I will welcome the day in the company of those that I love and with lots of kind words and well wishes from those that I love and can't be with me. Birthdays are the best:)

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
- Abraham Lincoln

2 comments:

AE said...

Birthdays are wonderful. I think I'm going to throw Zach a birthday party for his 30th this year. I still remember when you turned 18....I thought that was old. Now, it sounds like a baby. And so it goes....

Tammie said...

Let me be there on your 30th!!! The pictures of your wonderful friends made me cry(doesn't take much as you know). Please tell Max happy birthday for me and send Ellen my love. I continue to be awed by your words and pictures.