Friday, April 14, 2017

Frustrations...

So, I am in need of new trousers for work. The ones I have are too big now, and I need something that fits, is going to be versatile and last a long time. I asked for some from Trunk Club, and as much as I usually like what they send, they struck out. Everything they sent in this category seemed to be flimsy, the one pair of trousers I did like weren't even lined, the fabric seemed thin, and they cost $120. I was not about to do that.

So I'm scouring the internet trying to find some trousers. I'd love to find something that was lined and looked really tailored and was made responsibly. So I'm looking, I'm looking. Over an hour later I am not happy with what I've found. I finally order two pair from Banana Republic and hope they fit and aren't too flimsy, as even BR quality has seemed to fade recently.

These bloggers that write about capsule wardrobes and whatnot are helpful in a way. They can give you good ideas and suggest places where you can find ethically produced clothes. But they don't go to work per se. Most of them are professional bloggers. They don't seem to have to look professional. And all the stores they send me to have models that look like they just rolled out of bed with clothes hanging off of them. The clothes never look like that on the bloggers, but the model looks like a heroin addict, so its hard for me to picture what it will look like on me.

And I am OK paying some extra money for responsibly made clothing. But I am not quite to the place of paying $395 for a pair of canvas sailor pants. I'm not saying its not worth it. If you wore those sailor pants every summer for the next 18 years like I did my linen pants, then they would be worth every penny. But it is so hard to tell if the pants are going to be those pants, or if you'll think they're going to be those pants and then you hardly wear them for one reason or another.

And this is the thing. I DON'T HAVE TIME TO SPEND HOURS ONLINE LOOKING FOR PANTS. I just don't. I could have spent that time doing about a million other things and ended up in the same place, with more stuff done.

If all I had to do all day was search the internet for clothes, I'm sure I'd have a closet full of responsibly made clothing that goes together and didn't cost me an arm and a leg and looks fabulous. But as it is I have a closet full of clothing that I sorta kinda like and I'm trying to figure out how it all fits me and my lifestyle and my motherhood (dry cleaning is not currently my friend).

Ugh. Frustrating. I know it is a work in progress, but I'm frustrated right now.

No comments: